If there’s a long-distance move coming up, there’s a lot of things you need to review before you choose your moving company. Here are six tips.
Are you planning a long-distance move soon? Are you already dreading the moving process?
Since moving probably isn’t something you try to do often, deciding on which moving company to hire can add another layer of tension to an already stressful situation.
You want to trust that the move goes smoothly by hiring the right professional movers. Use the following six tips when choosing a company to help with your long-distance move.
Gather referrals for reputable companies to help with your long distance move.
If you don’t know of the best long-distance moving companies in your area, this is one of the few times that you won’t want to turn to Google right away. Instead of browsing to find out which company has the best online presence, get out and ask people you know who have moved recently.
Asking friends and family members who you trust is a good way to gather some names. Also, the companies you hear about from your friends are likely to be well-priced and affordable if the people you know have hired them.
Check their reputation.
After you’ve gathered a few company names from people you trust, then you can turn to Google.
Use the Internet to find out more about the companies and check their reputation. Check their website to see how long they have been in service. Read their online reviews and discover what their customer satisfaction rates look like.
The Canadian Association of Movers serves as a database for finding moving companies that will help you move locally or internationally. To inquire about a certain moving company’s reputation, call CAM toll-free at 1-888-860-0065 and ask about complaints toward the moving companies you’re looking at.
In addition to finding customer opinions of the company’s services, you’ll want to find out more about the companies in general, to see if they can meet your needs. For instance, if you’re moving large items, such as your car, you’ll need to make sure the company specializes in transporting large items.
Only accept insured movers.
Depending on whether you’re moving locally or internationally, you’ll only want to work with moving companies that can prove they are insured. Ask the company for their insurance company’s name and policy number.
Along with insurance, it will also benefit you to ask if the company abides by the terms of the Good Practice Guidelines for Canadian Movers. You can ask them directly, or see if they perform the following practices when interacting with you initially:
- They give you a pamphlet explaining the customer and mover rights and responsibilities, as well as written material regarding mover liability for loss or damage, optional programs available, limitations on liability and additional costs associated with each level of liability. When you request an estimate by telephone, the company should offer to send you the pamphlet by mail, fax or email.
- They give you written estimates of costs outlining the shipment and the cost of everything you requested. The estimate should list a full estimate of the number of boxes being moved, the size and value of the items, the cost per hour or flat rate, and when the services will be provided.
After you’ve learned everything you can about the companies you’ve narrowed your list down to, it’s time to ask them the critical questions.
When hiring a moving company to help you with your long-distance move, be sure to ask:
- How long they expect it will take them to complete the job.
- How many movers they plan to work the job.
- How they will handle your fragile items.
- What all is included in their rates.
- If any of their work is subcontracted out to other moving companies.
- If they offer the option for you to purchase insurance to cover any potential damage to your possessions.
When it comes to hiring a professional to handle your belongings, don’t be afraid to ask questions. You don’t want any unexpected charges or misunderstandings to come up when the moving day arrives.
Get in-home estimates from more than one company.
When you’ve narrowed down your list to three or four contenders, make appointments for in-home estimates from those companies.
If a moving company for your long distance move does have a good reputation among the community, they will definitely want to visit your home. Seeing all the items to be moved allows them to provide an accurate bid. If they are just wanting to give you a quote over the phone, they are likely not a reputable moving company.
When the representative comes for the in-home estimate, be sure to show him or her every single item you expect you will be moving. If there are more items present on the moving day than you showed for the estimate, your bill may be higher.
Review the estimates thoroughly.
Compare the estimates from the different companies. If a company has a much lower cost than the others, ask questions to figure out why that is. If one is significantly higher than the others, look closely to see where the extra costs are coming from.
Make sure everything is included in the estimates.
For an provincial move, the estimate should include:
- The type and amount of items being moved.
- The distance to your new home.
- The times and dates of when your items will be picked up and delivered.
- Any additional services, such as packing or extra supplies that the company will provide.
For an in-province move, the estimate should include:
- The hourly rates.
- Any additional costs that may apply, such as tolls, driving time and supplies.
Always ask about anything on the estimate that you are unsure about. If changes need to be made, make sure they send you a revised written estimate.
In conclusion, hiring a moving company for a long distance move is not a decision to take lightly. Take extra precaution to find out which companies are the most reputable among your community. Dig around to make sure they are well established and are properly licensed and insured.
A long-distance move is a big moment in your life. Hire movers you know you can trust.
If you have questions about hiring a moving company or if you’d like to get a quote from US Canada Moving for your long-distance move, give us a call at 1-844-881-9288 and we’ll be happy to help.